When I read this simple verse, my mind goes in the gutter. I think of our current-day dilemma of sexual immorality: premarital sex, extramarital affairs, out-of-control lust, sexual abuse, rape, incest. Completing the package are all the underlying lies, schemes, deceit, and just plain untruths. After all, we have to come up with a good cover for our sin.
I’m guessing that’s where Paul’s mind was going when he wrote this verse. If we flip back a few pages to Chapters 5-6, we read his concerns about sexual immorality. This is a small portion of his advice,
“Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body (6:18-20).”
I believe this advice to honor God with our body is not just about being sexually pure with our sexual body parts (yes, I DID say that!).
Our entire body: our eyes, mind, thoughts, heart, everything must glorify God in the way that we approach sexuality.
This means pornography in any form is not welcome in the marriage relationship. It is not welcome in the home. It is not welcome in the personal life of a man or woman of God in any way, shape, or form. Pornography “delights in evil”. Period. Exclamation Mark! The very premise of pornography is sexual immorality, i.e. lying, cheating, greed and lust, which is adultery of the heart, mind, and soul.
It is the decay of our society and it will eat a hole in your soul.
“Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry…But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other …(Colossians 3:5-9)”
- If you are using pornography…
- STOP! Cleanse your home.
- Then ask God to cleanse your heart and mind; to give you a fresh start.
- It will battle for your thoughts and the images will plague you for awhile; but if you truly resist and trust God, you can overcome!
- If your spouse is using pornography and expects you to participate…
- Make clear that this is not what you want as the focus of your sexual intimacy.
- It is robbing you of the relationship God intended for you.
- If either of you find that you cannot resist, that you are in too deep, that perhaps you have an addiction to pornography, here are some links that can be of help to you:
“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth.”
Let’s feast our eyes and mind on the truth of God’s word. Allow His love to fill the hole in our soul. It will make an eternal difference in your heart, in your life, and in the lives of those you love.
Let’s make this hymn our prayer: